The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 33 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadviews_countguests" - Line: 742 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 742 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "allowautourl" - Line: 560 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 560 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 810 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "allowautourl" - Line: 560 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1612) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1612) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1612 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Ubuntu and IWOS
Pinguy seems to be tied closely to Ubuntu.

Do we want to continue this path or make IWOS a stand-alone fork.

Need opinions.

Larry
(04-17-2017, 12:36 PM)Larry Wrote: Pinguy seems to be tied closely to Ubuntu.

Need opinions.

Larry

Welcome to the forum members!
I think the Pinguyos dead.
Place on the grave of an imaginary flowers, think of it with a good heart, and let's move on.
Linux Mint 17.x - 18.x:
https://i.imgur.com/XigOHIg.jpg
Sound familiar?
Ubuntu as a basis - anything wrong about it!?
I do not think so...or am I mistaken?

What should be the target audience for the new OS anyway?

LNT
The nice thing about both Ubuntu and Debian, is the use of deb files. They are by far more abundant than other packages. So that is a firm point IMO to stay close to these two
(04-17-2017, 06:37 PM)morci Wrote:
(04-17-2017, 12:36 PM)Larry Wrote: Pinguy seems to be tied closely to Ubuntu.

Need opinions.

Larry

Welcome to the forum members!
I think the Pinguyos dead.
Place on the grave of an imaginary flowers, think of it with a good heart, and let's move on.
Linux Mint 17.x - 18.x:
https://i.imgur.com/XigOHIg.jpg
Sound familiar?
Looks very familiar. Here is what set Pinguy apart, when it was at it's peak. From a review 

With a more comprehensive application selection and more useful tools enabled out-of-the-box, as well as a slick-looking and simple desktop experience all around, Pinguy OS seems to be the way to go now. Plus, it'll likely appeal to newbies migrating from Microsoft Windows who want a more Apple-like experience without paying those high prices.
Gave this some thought. What is the target group? I was involved in one OS development called Tori ( I did very little). First the goal was decided, then everything else followed. In that case older machines, even some not capable of PAE. So a very light weight environment. This was the guy who headed both Lubuntu and Ubunutu Gnome for a while, so he had a lot of experience. So are we trying to keep average and new users? Are we targeting certain hardware limitations? A goal helps one find a path
(04-18-2017, 07:28 PM)Kantoquad Wrote: Gave this some thought. What is the target group? I was involved in one OS development called Tori ( I did very little). First the goal was  decided, then everything else followed. In that case older machines, even some not capable of PAE.  So a very light weight environment. This was the guy who headed both Lubuntu and Ubunutu Gnome for a while, so he had a lot of experience. So are we trying to keep average and new users? Are we targeting certain hardware limitations? A goal helps one find a path

Same group and goals as Pinguy.
I just want to make sure I am going the  right direction.
The way it is now is that Pinguy is just re-wrapped Ubuntu with a few changes.
I tend to follow Debian (Ubuntu does also) but I tend to get ahead in kernal releases
and pull things I like from several other OS releases for IWLinux.
What I would like to do is merge Pinguy and IWLinux into IWOS.
Not a big deal at the user interface level but many changes under it.

Larry
I also use Debian from time to time. That would be barely noticed by most and since Ubuntu can not turn a profit, may be the wise way to go. Smile Scavenging the best from all OS's sounds great. That would be a great calling card!
Hi there,

Striving for the best of the bunch (easy to use, accessible for newbies as well as offering a fair bit for the advanced user) - sounds great.
But it also requires a lot - a lot of choices now and in the future and a lot of work to sustain it in long run in my eyes.
(I surely hope that we are looking at a bunch of releases here...aren't we? Just LTS would be fine with me..).

So the question is how high do you want to aim. What would be reasonable release schedule be?
What hardware specs does the user who wants to use this 'distro' own at least? And so on...

Yearly, bi-yearly or even a rolling release distro (mmhmm...no good for the audience targeted...I think)?
[...]

Just my2cents,
LNT

Hey - any idea - how to advertise this out there?

LNT